Supercapacitors Provide Power Control Technology for Multiple Industries
Reliable power quality is key to every organization’s success. Power surges, sags, or full outages can put your organization at risk, cost from hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions of dollars, and could even make a difference in a critical healthcare situation. Supercapacitors provide the power-control technology needed to successfully operate organizations across the globe, including healthcare facilities, manufacturing facilities, utility companies, transportation manufacturers, and warehouses.
Companies are utilizing Eaton’s XLM line of supercapacitors for many different applications where power quality, endurance and reliability are critical to the organization’s success.
- Healthcare facilities are using supercapacitors to accommodate higher power loads and keep critical equipment, such as MRIs and CT scans, working even during a power failure.
- Manufacturing facilities rely on supercapacitors for uninterrupted power in high-temperature environments that need a maintenance-free solution. Power drops from milliseconds to several seconds can cause two- to four-hour power outages, leading to losses of millions of dollars in expenses and lost revenue.
- Utility companies benefit from supercapacitors for the stability of the grid, especially with renewable energy sources and large consumer demand. High-peak power on demand and high efficiency are critical to providing consistent power to customers.
- Transportation manufacturers for light rail, subway, and trolley electrification utilize supercapacitors for wayside/station side and on-board energy storage for energy savings and a more stable system.
- Warehouses use robots, forklifts, people movers, and automated guide vehicles powered by supercapacitors for material handling, benefiting from the reliable, quick charging power in low- and high-temperature environments.
Eaton’s XLM supercapacitors utilize electrochemical double layer capacitor (EDLC) construction, making them high-reliability, high-power, ultra-high capacitance energy storage devices. This advanced technology allows Eaton to offer a wide variety of capacitor solutions tailored to applications for backup power, pulse power, and hybrid power systems. The Eaton supercapacitors can be applied as the sole energy storage or in combination with batteries to optimize cost, lifetime, and runtime. All Eaton supercapacitors feature a low ESR for high-power density, and are lead free and RoHS compliant. Additionally, they are maintenance free with up to a 20-year operating life, with operating temperatures down to -40°C and up to +85°C. Eaton’s supercapacitors feature more than a 98% typical efficiency.
Whether it is low- or high-power applications, supercapacitors provide a reliable, longer life alternative to traditional batteries for power quality.
Eaton will be exhibiting at Critical Power Expo 2017 in booth 2203